Government of India
New Delhi, the 10th Feb. 1986
G.S.R– In exercise of the power conferred by Clause (va) of Sub-Section (i) of section 240 of the Punjab Municipal Act, 1911, the central government hereby makes the following rules, namely:
- Short title and commencement-
- These rules may be called the New Delhi Municipal Corporation (Sealing of Unauthorised Construction) Rules 1986
- They shall come into force at once
- Definitions- In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires:
- “Act” means the Punjab Municipal Act, 1911 as in force in delhi;
- “Administrator” means the Administrator of the Union Territory of Delhi;
- “Committee” means the New Delhi Municipal Committee;
- Words and expression used herein but not defined shall have the same meaning as assigned to them in the Delhi Municipal Corporation Act, 1957 (66 of 1957)
- Manner of sealing of unauthorised construction-
- The Committee or an officer duly authorised by him in this behalf may by order and for reason recorded therein, direct any person specially authorised in this behalf or any Municipal Officer or any other Municipal employee not below the rank of a Junior Engineer of the Corporation to seal any building or unauthorised constructions under section 195-B of the Act.
- A copy of the order made under Sub-rule (1) shall be de delivered to the owner or occupier of the building or unauthorised construction immediately after the sealing of such building or unauthorised construction and in case the owner or the occupier is not available at the site the said copy may be pasted at some conspicuous place of the said building or unauthorised construction.
- The owner or occupier of the building or unauthorised construction whose building or unauthorised construction, as the case may be, has been sealed under Sub-rule (1), may obtain a certified copy of such order from the commissioner or any officer duly authorised by him in this behalf.
- The person, Municipal officer or municipal employee referred to in Sub-rule (1) may, before the sealing of the unauthorised construction, prepare a rough sketch or plan of the unauthorized construction alongwith.
- The person, Municipal officer or other municipal employees as referred to in Sub-rule (1), may seal the outer door of the opening of the building in which the unauthorised construction has been or is being made or unauthorised construction after ensuring that other outlets and inlets of the building or unauthorised construction have been properly locked, bolted or encircled with the wire rope or wire-mesh or any other material and where such building or unauthorised cinstruction cannot be enclosed with wire, rope or wire-mesh or any other material or has no boundary walls making the sealing thereof difficult, the person, Municipal officer or other municipal employee, as aforesaid, shall be authorised to take or adopt and other means including the posting of any person for watch and ward purposes with a view to ensure the same against tempering or interfering in a manner that no person can enter into or open the building or unauthorised construction without breaking or removing the seal affixed under Sub-rule (1)
- Where any building r unauthorised construction which has been ordered to be sealed under this rule is found to be locked or inaccessible, the person, Municipal officer or other municipal employee authorised to seal the building or the unauthorised construction, may either break open the lock or unauthorised construction or the building where the unauthorised construction has been or is being made so as to ensure that the unauthorised construction or the building is secured from within and then lock and seal the building or the unauthorised construction. Provided that where any building or the unauthorised construction is forced open, an inventory of the artices or material found in the building or on the site of the unauthorised construction shall be prepared in the presence of two witness and a copy thereof shall be delivered to the owner or occupier present at the site.
- The Building or the unauthorised construction referred to above shall be sealed with the seal of the Municipal Corporation which shall remain in the custody of an officer duly authorised by the commissioner in this behalf.
- The person, municipal officer or any other municipal employee, directed to seal the building or unauthorised construction, after such building or unauthorised construction has been sealed in the manner provided herein before, shall inform in writing to:
- the police station of the area in which unauthorised construction or the building is situated; or
- any other police station as may be specified for the purpose in this behalf; and
- the officer on whose directions the building or unauthorised construction has been sealed.
- Tempering with seal of the building or unauthorised construction: If any person, municipal officer or municipal employees whether authorised to seal the building or the unauthorised construction or not, finds that the seal as affixed under these rules on the building or the unauthorised construction, as the case may be, has been broken or tempered with, shall report the matter in writing immediately to the police station concerned.